Achieving Gender Balance in the Boardroom : India vis-a-vis European Countries
Glass Ceiling, Golden Skirts, Revised Clause, Token, Queen Bee, Quota
K00, J16, M14
Paper Submission Date : May 10, 2016 ; Paper sent back for Revision : May 22, 2016 ; Paper Acceptance Date : June 20, 2016.
- Adams, S. M., & Flynn, P. M. (2005). Local knowledge advances women's access to corporate boards. Corporate Governance, 13(6), 836-846. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8683.2005.00474.x
- Adams, S. M., Gupta, A., & Leeth, J. D. (2009). Are female executives over-represented in precarious leadership positions? British Journal of Management, 20 (1), 1-12. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8551.2007.00549.x
- Ahern, K. R., & Dittmar, A. K. (2012). The changing of the boards: The impact on firm valuation of mandated female board representation. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 127 (1), 137-197. doi: 10.1093/qje/qjr049
- Balasubramanian, B. N. (2011). Glass ceilings and oak-paneled walls : Women on corporate boards. Retrieved from http://ssrn.com/abstract=1933651
- Bao, S., Fainshmidt, S., Nair, A, & Vracheva, V. (2014). Women in upper echelons of management, tenure and legal risk. British Journal of Management, 25 (2), 388-405. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8551.2012.00847.x
- Baussola, M., Mussida, C., Jenkins, J., & Penfold, M. (2015). Determinants of the gender unemployment gap in Italy and the United Kingdom: A comparative investigation. International Labour Review, 154 (4), 537-562. DOI: 10.1111/j.1564-913X.2015.00028.x
- Biz Divas. (n.d.). Women on Boards. Retrieved from http://www.bizdivas.in/
- BoardEx. (n.d.). Database. Retrieved from http://corp.boardex.com/data/
- Bohren, O., & Staubo, S. (2016). Mandatory gender balance and board independence. European Financial Management, 22 (1), 3-30.
- Campbell, K., & Minguez, A. (2008). Gender diversity in the boardroom and firm financial performance. Journal of Business Ethics, 83 (3), 435-451. DOI : 10.1007/s10551-007-9630-y
- Carter, D. A., Simkins, B. J., & Simpson, W.G. (2003). Corporate governance, board diversity, and firm value. Financial Review, 38 (1), 33-53. DOI: 10.1111/1540-6288.00034
- Catalyst. (2014). Catalyst census: Women board directors. New York: Catalyst. Retrieved from http://www.catalyst.org/knowledge/2014-catalyst-census-women-board-directors
- Clark, N. (2010, January 27). The female factor : Getting women into boardrooms, by Law. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/world/europe/28iht-quota.html?_r=0
- Cotter, D.A., Hermsen, J.M., & Vanneman, R. (2001). Women's work and working women : The demand for female labor. Gender & Society, 15 (3), 429-452.
- Elstad, B., & Ladegard, G. (2010). Women on corporate boards : Key influencers or tokens? Journal of Management and Governance, 16 (4), 595-615.
- European Commission Database. (n.d.). Gender equality. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/justice/gender-equality/
- Farrell, K. A., & Hersch, P. (2005). Additions to corporate boards: The effect of gender. Journal of Corporate Finance, 11 (2), 85-106.
- Francoeur, C., Labelle, R., & Sinclair - Desgagné, B. (2008). Gender diversity in corporate governance and top management. Journal of Business Ethics, 81 (1), 83-95.
- Gago, S., & Macias, M. (2014). A possible explanation of the gender gap among accounting academics: Evidence from the choice of research field. Accounting and Finance, 54 (4), 1183-1206. DOI: 10.1111/acfi.12035
- Haslam, S.A., Ryan, M.K., Kulich, C., Trojanowski, G., & Atkins, C. (2010). Investing with prejudice: The relationship between women's presence on company boards and objective and subjective measures of company performance. British Journal of Management, 21 (2), 484-497.
- Holst, E., & Schimeta, J. (2009). Nach wie vor kaum Frauen in den Top-Gremien grober Unternehmen [Still very few women in the top bodies of large companies]. Wochenbericht des DIW Berlin, 18(2), 302-310.
- Kilday, L., Mihailescu, A., Nolan, C., & Schreve, F. (2009). Women on boards of directors: The case study of Norway. University of St. Gallen, Switzerland, Retrieved from http://www.peterhorn.dk/executivemagazine/Stoppress/131115_Norway_%20Women_on_Boards.asp
- Kurup, A., Chandrashekar, S., & Muralidharan, K. (2011). Woman power in corporate India in conversation with Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Chairperson & MD, Biocon Ltd. IIMB Management Review, 23 (4), 223-233. doi:10.1016/j.iimb.2011.08.006
- Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India. (2013). The Companies Act 2013. The Gazette of India [PDF Document]. Retrieved from http://www.mca.gov.in/Ministry/pdf/CompaniesAct2013.pdf
- NSE. (2016). Indian boards database. Retrieved from http://indianboards.com/pages/index.aspx
- Rose, C. (2007). Does female board representation influence firm performance? The Danish evidence. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15 (2), 404-413.
- Staines, G. L., Jayaratne, T.E., & Tavris, C. (1973). In, C. Tavris (ed.), The queen bee syndrome in the female experience. Del Mar, California: CRM Books.
- Vinnicombe, S., Singh, V., Burke, R. J., Bilimoria, D., & Huse, M. (2008). Women on corporate boards of directors: International research and practice. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Women on boards: 5 year summary (Davies review). (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/
- There are currently no refbacks.