A Literature Review on Evolving Earnings Management Techniques
Earning Management, Techniques, Accruals and Reversal, Qualitative and Quantitative Techniques
JEL Classification : G31, M40, M41, M49
Paper Submission Date : October 14, 2015 ; Paper sent back for Revision : December 18, 2015 ; Paper Acceptance Date : December 24, 2015.
- Alareeni, B., & Aljuaidi, O., (2014). The Modified Jones and Yoon models in detecting earnings management in Palestine exchange (PEX). International Journal of Innovation and Applied Studies, 9 (4), 1472 - 1484.
- Baber, W. R., Kang, S.-H., & Li, Y. (2011). Modeling discretionary accrual reversal and the balance sheet as an earnings management constraint. Accounting Review, 86 (4), 1189-1212. doi:10.2308/accr-10037
- Beattrice, V. A., & Dacian, C. D. (2011). Detection of earnings management - A proposed framework based on accruals approach research designs. Annals of the University of Oradea, Economic Science Series, 1 (2), 643-648.
- Bereskin, F. L., Kieschnick, R. L., & Rotenberg, W. (2015). Earnings management over time. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2470705
- Charfeddine, L., Riahi, R., & Omri, A. (2013). The determinants of earnings management in developing countries : A study in the Tunisian context. IUP Journal of Corporate Governance, 12 (1), 35-49.
- Chen, F. - H., Chi, D. - J., & Wang, Y.-C. (2015). Detecting biotechnology industry's earnings management using Bayesian network, principal component analysis, back propagation neural network, and decision tree. Economic Modelling, 46, 1-10. doi:10.1016/j.econmod.2014.12.035
- Das, S., Shroff, P. K., & Zhang, H. (2009). Quarterly earnings patterns and earnings management. Contemporary Accounting Research, 26 (3), 797-831. DOI: 10.1506/car.26.3.7
- Dechow, P. M., Hutton, A. P., Kim, J. H., & Sloan, R. G. (2012). Detecting earnings management: A new approach. Journal of Accounting Research, 50 (2), 275-334. doi:10.1111/j.1475-679X.2012.00449.x
- Dechow, P., Ge, W., & Schrand, C. (2010). Understanding earnings quality: A review of the proxies, their determinants and their consequences. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 50(2-3), 344 - 401. doi:10.1016/j.jacceco.2010.09.001
- DeFond, M. L. (2010). Earnings quality research : Advances, challenges, and future research. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 50 (2-3), 402– 409.
- Dikmen, B., & Küçükkocaoğlu, G. (2010). The detection of earnings manipulation: The three-phase cutting plane algorithm using mathematical programming. Journal of Forecasting, 29 (5), 442-466.
- Fok, D., & Franses, P. H. (2013). Testing earnings management. Statistica Neerlandica, 67 (3), 281-292. doi:10.1111/stan.12007
- Gerakos, J. (2012). Discussion of detecting earnings management: A new approach. Journal of Accounting Research, 50 (2), 335-347. DOI: 10.1111/j.1475-679X.2012.00452.x
- Healy, P.M., &Wahlen, J.M. (1999). A review of the earnings management literature and its implications for standard setting. Accounting Horizons, 13 (4), 365 - 383. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2308/acch.19220.127.116.115
- Höglund, H. (2012). Detecting earnings management with neural networks. Expert Systems with Applications, 39(10), 9564-9570. doi:10.1016/j.eswa.2012.02.096
- Hong, Y., Huseynov, F., & Zhang, W. (2014). Earnings management and analyst following: A simultaneous equations analysis. Financial Management, 43 (2), 355 - 390. doi: 10.1111/fima.12043
- Jansen, I. P., Ramnath, S., &Yohn, T. L. (2012). A diagnostic for earnings management using changes in asset turnover and profit margin. Contemporary Accounting Research, 29 (1), 221-251. DOI: 10.1111/j.1911-3846.2011.01093.x
- Jordan, C. E., & Clark, S. J. (2011). Detecting cosmetic earnings management using Benford's Law. CPA Journal, 81 (2), 32-37.
- Levitt, A. (1998, September 28). The "Numbers Game.” Securities and Exchange Commission, Remarks by Chairman Arthur Levitt. Retrieved from: https://www.sec.gov/news/speech/speecharchive/1998/spch220.txt
- Naidu, D., & Patel, A. (2013). A comparison of qualitative and quantitative methods of detecting earnings management: Evidence from two Fijian private and two Fijian state-owned entities. Australasian Accounting Business & Finance Journal, 7(1), 79-98.
- Najari, M., Bishak, A. H., Pazhand, P., & Baygi, S. (2014). Forecasting of earning management by support vector machine: Case study in Tehran Exchange Stock. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 19 (7), 1007-1017.
- Schipper, K. (1989). Earnings management. Accounting Horizon, 3, 91-106.
- Song, D. - B., Lee, H.-Y., & Cho, E. -J. (2013). The association between earnings management and asset misappropriation. Managerial Auditing Journal, 28(6), 542-567. doi:10.1108/02686901311329919.
- Stubben, S.R. (2010). Discretionary revenues as a measure of earnings management. The Accounting Review, 85 (2), 695-717. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2308/accr.2010.85.2.695
- There are currently no refbacks.