A Review of Organizational Effectiveness in NGOs
Organizational Effectiveness, NGO Effectiveness, NGO Management
D23, L25, L31
Paper Submission Date: April 4, 2015; Paper sent back for Revision: May 11, 2015; Paper Acceptance Date: May 25, 2015.
- Balser, D., & McClusky, J. (2005). Managing stakeholder relationships and nonprofit organization effectiveness. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 15 (3), 295 - 315. DOI: 10.1002/nml.70
- Baruch, Y., & Ramalho, N. (2006). Communalities and distinctions in the measurement of organizational performance and effectiveness across for-profit and nonprofit sectors. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 35(1), 39 - 65.
- Bhojanna, U., Srikanth, I. G., & Tiwari, A. (2013). Strategic HR: Success key to organizational effectiveness. Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 6 (5), 20 -25.
- Bradshaw, P., Murray, V., & Wolpin, J. (1992). Do non-profit boards make a difference? An exploration of the relationships among board structure, process, and effectiveness. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 21(3), 227 - 249.
- Brinkerhoff, J. M. (2002). Government - nonprofit partnership: A defining framework. Public Administration and Development, 22(1), 19 - 30. DOI: 10.1002/pad.203
- Byington, D. B., Martin, P. Y., DiNitto, D. M., & Maxwell, M. S. (1991). Organizational affiliation and effectiveness: The case of rape crisis centers. Administration in Social Work, 15 (3), 83 - 103.
- Callen, J. L., Klein, A., & Tinkelman, D. (2003). Board composition, committees, and organizational efficiency: The case of nonprofits. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 32 (4), 493 - 520. DOI: 10.1177/0899764003257462
- Cameron, K. (1978). Measuring organizational effectiveness in institutions of higher education. Administrative Science Quarterly, 23 (4), 604 - 632.
- Cameron, K. S. (1981). Domains of organizational effectiveness in colleges and universities. Academy of Management Journal, 24 (1), 25 - 47.
- Cameron, K. S. (1982). The relationship between faculty unionism and organizational effectiveness. Academy of Management Journal, 25 (1), 6 - 24.
- Cameron, K.S. (2005). Organizational effectiveness: Its demise and re-emergence through positive organizational scholarship. In K. Smith & M. Hitt (Eds.), Great minds in management: The process of theory development (pp. 304-330). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Crittenden, W. F., Crittenden, V. L., & Hunt, T. G. (1988). Planning and stakeholder satisfaction in religious organizations. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 17 (2), 60 - 73.
- Drucker, P. F. (1990). Managing the nonprofit organization. New York: Harper-Collins.
- Duan, H. (2010). A survey of non-profit organizations evaluation methods. Asian Social Science, 6 (8), 30 - 41. DOI: 10.5539/ass.v6n8p30
- Etzioni, A. (1964). Modern organizations. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Forbes, D. P. (1998). Measuring the unmeasurable: Empirical studies of non - profit organization effectiveness from 1977 to 1997. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 27 (2), 183 - 202. DOI: 10.1177/0899764098272005
- Garain, S. (1998). Organizational effectiveness of non-governmental organizations. Jaipur, India: University Book House Pvt. Ltd.
- Georgopoulos, B. S., & Mann, F. C. (1962). The community general hospital. New York: Macmillan.
- Glisson, C. A., & Martin, P. Y. (1980). Productivity and efficiency in human service organizations as related to structure, size, and age. The Academy of Management Journal, 23 (1), 21 - 37.
- Green, J. C., & Griesinger, D. W. (1996). Board performance and organizational effectiveness in nonprofit social services organizations. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 6 (4), 381 - 402. DOI: 10.1002/nml.4130060407
- Herman, R. D. (1990). Methodological issues in studying the effectiveness of nongovernmental and nonprofit organizations. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 19 (3), 293 - 306. DOI: 10.1177/089976409001900309
- Herman, R. D., & Renz, D. O. (1997). Multiple constituencies and the social construction of nonprofit organization effectiveness. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 26 (2), 185 - 206. DOI: 10.1177/0899764097262006
- Herman, R. D., & Renz, D. O. (1998). Nonprofit organizational effectiveness: Contrasts between especially effective and less effective organizations. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 9 (1), 23 - 38. DOI: 10.1002/nml.9102
- Herman, R. D., & Renz, D. O. (2004). Doing things right: Effectiveness in local nonprofit organizations, a panel study. Public Administration Review, 64(6), 694 - 704. DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-6210.2004.00416.x
- Herman, R. D., & Tulipana, F. P. (1985). Board-staff relations and perceived effectiveness in nonprofit organizations. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 14 (4), 48 - 59. DOI: 10.1177/089976408501400406
- Jackson, D. K., & Holland, T. P. (1998). Measuring the effectiveness of nonprofit boards. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 27(2), 159 - 182. DOI: 10.1177/0899764098272004
- Kanter, R. M., & Brinkerhoff, D. (1981). Organizational performance: Recent developments in measurement. Annual Review of Sociology, 7, 321 - 349. DOI: 10.1146/annurev.so.07.080181.001541
- Kanter, R. M., & Summers, D. V. (1986). Doing well while doing good: Dilemmas of performance measurement in nonprofit organizations and the need for a multiple-constituency approach. In W. Powell & P. DiMaggio (Eds.), Handbook of nonprofit organizations (pp. 154 - 166). New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Katz, D., & Kahn, R. L. (1966). The social psychology of organizations. New York: Wiley.
- Kushner, R. J., & Poole, P. P. (1996). Exploring structure-effectiveness relationships in nonprofit arts organizations. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 7 (2), 119 - 136. DOI: 10.1002/nml.4130070203
- Lecy, J. D., Schmitz, H. P., & Swedlund, H. (2012). Non-governmental and not-for-profit organizational effectiveness: A modern synthesis. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 23(2), 434 - 457.
- Liket, K. C., & Maas, K. (2013). Nonprofit organizational effectiveness: Analysis of best practices. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly. DOI: 10.1177/0899764013510064
- Lillis, C. M., & Shaffer, P. L. (1977). Economic output as an organizational effectiveness measure for universities. Academy of Management Journal, 20 (3), 476 - 482. DOI: 10.2307/255422
- Lipsky, M., & Smith, S. R. (1989). Nonprofit organizations, government, and the welfare state. Political Science Quarterly, 104 (4), 625 - 648.
- Miller, L. E., Weiss, R. M., & MacLeod, B. V. (1988). Boards of directors in nonprofit organizations: Composition, activities, and organizational outcomes. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 17 (3-4), 81- 89.
- Mitchell, G. E. (2013). The construct of organizational effectiveness: Perspectives from leaders of international nonprofits in the United States. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 42 (2), 324 - 345.
- Panda, B., & Pattnaik, B. K. (2005). Effectiveness of grassroots NGOs: An empirical Exploration. Man & Development, 27 (2), 39 - 66.
- Provan, K. G. (1980). Board power and organizational effectiveness among human service agencies. Academy of Management Journal, 23 (2), 221- 236.
- Sheehan, R. M. Jr. (1996). Mission accomplishment as philanthropic organization effectiveness: Key findings from the excellence in philanthropy project. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 25(1), 110 - 123. DOI: 10.1177/0899764096251008
- Shiva, M. S. A. M., & Roy, S. (2007). Developing a conceptual model of NGO effectiveness in the Indian context. Productivity, 48 (2), 212 - 233.
- Shiva, M. S. A. M., & Suar, D. (2012). Transformational leadership, organizational culture, organizational effectiveness, and programme outcomes in non-governmental organizations. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 23(3), 684 -710. DOI : 10.1007/s11266-011-9230-4
- Siciliano, J. I. (1996). The relationship between formal planning and performance in nonprofit organizations. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 7 (4), 387 - 403. DOI: 10.1002/nml.4130070405
- Smith, D. H., & Shen, C. (1996). Factors characterizing the most effective nonprofits managed by volunteers. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 6 (3), 271 - 289. DOI: 10.1002/nml.4130060306
- Steers, R. M. (1976). When is an organization effective? A process approach to understanding effectiveness. Organizational Dynamics, 5 (2), 50- 63.
- Taylor, B. E., Chait, R. P., & Holland, T. P. (1996). The new work of the nonprofit board. Harvard Business Review, 74 (5), 36 - 47.
- Taylor, M. E., & Sumariwalla, R. D. (1993). Evaluating nonprofit effectiveness: Overcoming the barriers. In D. Young (Ed.), Governing, leading and managing nonprofit organizations (pp. 93 - 116). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Webb, R. J. (1974). Organizational effectiveness and the voluntary organization. Academy of Management Journal, 17(4), 663 - 677.
- Willems, J., Huybrechts, G., Jegers, M., Weijters, B., Vantilborgh, T., Bidee, J., & Pepermans, R. (2012). Nonprofit governance quality: Concept and measurement. Journal of Social Service Research, 38 (4), 561- 578. DOI:10.1080/01488376.2012.703578
- Young, D. R. (2000). Alternative models of government-nonprofit sector relations: Theoretical and international perspectives. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 29(1), 149 - 172.
- Yuchtman, E., & Seashore, S. E. (1967). A system resource approach to organizational effectiveness. American Sociological Review, 32(6), 891- 903.
- There are currently no refbacks.