A Study of Job Satisfaction as a Predictor of Organizational Citizenship Behavior
Altruism, Civic Virtue, Conscientiousness, Courtesy, Hotel Employees, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Citizenship Behavior, Sportsmanship
J28, L83, M12, M54, O15
Paper Submission Date: October 17, 2014 ; Paper sent back for Revision : December 5, 2014; Paper Acceptance Date : December 15, 2014.
- Ahmed, N., Rasheed, A.., & Jehanzeb, K. (2012). An exploration of predictors of organizational citizenship behavior and its significant link to employee engagement. International Journal of Business, Humanities and Technology, 2 (4), 99-106.
- Barnard, C. I. (1938). The functions of the executive. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Bateman, T.S., & Organ, D.W. (1983). Job satisfaction and the good soldier: The relationship between affect and employee citizenship. Academy of Management Journal, 26 (4), 587-595.
- Borah, S. (2012). Employee job satisfaction: A case study on the Pipeline Department of Oil India Limited. Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 5 (9), 32-36.
- Borman, W. C., & Motowidlo, S. J. (1993). Expanding the criterion domain to include elements of contextual performance. In N. Schmitt, W. C. Borman, & Associates (Eds.). Personnel selection in organizations. (pp. 71-98). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Brief, A.P., & Motowidlo, S. J. (1986). Prosocial organizational behaviors. Academy of Management Review, 11 (4), 710-725. DOI: 10.5465/AMR.1986.4283909
- Chen, X. P., Hui, C., & Sego, D. J. (1998). The role of organizational citizenship behavior in turnover: Conceptualization and preliminary test of key hypotheses. Journal of Applied Psychology, 83 (6), 922 - 931.
- Chiboiwa, M.W., Chipunza, C., & Samuel, M.O. (2011). Evaluation of job satisfaction and organizational citizenship behaviour: Case study of selected organizations in Zimbabwe. African Journal of Business Management, 5 (7), 2910-2918. DOI: 10.5897/AJBM10.1400
- Farh, J. L. L., Earley, P. C., & Lin, S. C. (1997). Impetus for action: A cultural analysis of justice and organizational citizenship behavior in Chinese society. Administrative Science Quarterly, 42 (3), 421- 444.
- George, J. M., & Brief, A. P., (1992). Feeling good-doing good: A conceptual analysis of the mood at work-organizational spontaneity relationship. Psychological Bulletin, 112 (2), 310- 329.
- Getty, J.M., & Getty, R.L. (2003). Lodging quality index (LQI): Assessing customers' perception of quality delivery. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 15(2), 94-104. DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09596110310462940
- Katz, D. (1964). The motivational basis of organizational behavior. Behavioral Science, 9 (2), 131-146. DOI: 10.1002/bs.3830090206
- Kim, W. G., Leong, J. K. & Lee, Y. K. (2005). Effect of service orientation on job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and intention of leaving in a casual dining chain restaurant. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 24 (2), 171-193.
- Lane, K. A., Esser, J., Holte, B., & McCusker, M.A. (2010). A study of nurse faculty job satisfaction in community colleges in Florida. Teaching & Learning in Nursing, 5(1), 16-26. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.teln.2009.05.001
- Lapierre, L.M., & Hackett, R.D. (2007). Trait conscientiousness, leader-member exchange, job satisfaction and organizational citizenship behavior: A test of an integrative model. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 80(3), 539-554. DOI: 10.1348/096317906X154892
- Mehboob, F., & Bhutto, N. A. (2012). Job satisfaction as a predictor of organizational citizenship behavior: A study of faculty members at business institutes. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 3 (9), 1447-1455.
- Meyer, J. P., & Becker, T. E. (2004). Employee commitment and motivation: A conceptual analysis and integrative model. Journal of Applied Psychology, 89 (6), 991-1007.
- Meyer, J. P., Stanley, D. J., Herscovitch, L., & Topolnytsky, L. (2002). Affective, continuance, and normative commitment to the organization: A meta-analysis of antecedents, correlates, and consequences. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 61(1), 20-52. DOI:10.1006/jvbe.2001.1842
- Moorman, R. H. (1991). Relationship between organizational justice and organizational citizenship behaviors: Do fairness perceptions influence employee citizenship ? Journal of Applied Psychology, 76 (6), 845-855.
- Moorman, R.H., Blakely, G. L., & Niehoff, B.P. (1998). Does perceived organizational support mediate the relationship between procedural justice and organizational citizenship behavior? Academy of Management Journal, 41 (3), 351-357. DOI: 10.2307/256913
- Organ, D. W. (1988). Organizational citizenship behavior: The good soldier syndrome. Lexington, M. A.: Lexington Books.
- Organ, D. W., & Konovsky, M. (1989). Cognitive versus affective determinants of organizational citizenship behavior. Journal of Applied Psychology, 74 (1), 157-164.
- Organ, D. W., & Lingl, A. (1995). Personality, satisfaction, and organizational citizenship behavior. The Journal of Social Psychology, 135 (3), 339-350. DOI:10.1080/00224545.1995.9713963
- Organ, D. W., & Ryan, K. (1995). A meta-analytic review of attitudinal and dispositional predictors of organizational citizenship behavior. Personnel Psychology, 48 (4), 775- 802. DOI: 10.1111/j.1744-6570.1995.tb01781.x
- Parnell, J. A., & Crandall, W. R. (2003). Propensity for participative decision-making, job satisfaction, organizational commitment, organizational citizenship behavior, and intentions to leave among Egyptian managers. The Multinational Business Review, 11(1), 45-65. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/1525383X200300003
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., Moorman, R. H., & Fetter, R. (1990). Transformational leaders behavior and their effects on followers' trust in leader, satisfaction, and organizational citizenship behaviors. Leadership Quarterly, 1 (2), 107-142.
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., Paine, J. B., & Bachrach, D. G. (2000) Organizational citizenship behavior: A critical review of the theoretical and empirical literature and suggestions for future research. Journal of Management, 26 (3), 513-563. DOI: 10.1177/014920630002600307
- Rose, M. (2001). Good deal, bad deal? Job satisfaction in occupations. Work, Employment, & Society, 17 (13), 503-530. DOI: 10.1177/09500170030173006
- Schappe, S. P. (1998). The influence of job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and fairness perceptions on organizational citizenship behavior. The Journal of Psychology, 132 (3), 277-290.
- Schnake, M., Cochran, D., & Dumler, M. P. (1995). Encouraging organizational Citizenship: The effects of job satisfaction, perceived equity and leadership. Journal of Managerial Issues, 7 (2), 209-221.
- Selvakumar, M., & Dhanalakshmi, V. (2012). Job satisfaction of women teachers in matriculate schools: A study with references to Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu. Prabhandan: Indian Journal of Management, 5 (10), 41-54.
- Smith, C. A., Organ, D. W., & Near, J. P. (1983). Organizational citizenship behavior: Its nature and antecedents Journal of Applied Psychology, 68 (4), 653-663.
- Spector, P. E. (1997). Job satisfaction: Application, assessment, causes, consequences. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Turnipseed, D. L., & Murkison, E. (2000). A bi-cultural comparison of organizational citizenship behavior: Does the OCB phenomenon transcend national culture? The International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 8 (2), 200-222. DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/eb028917
- Turnipseed, D. L., & Rassuli, A. (2005). Performance perceptions of organizational citizenship behaviors at work: A bi-level study among managers and employees. British Journal of Management, 16 (3), 231-244. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467- 8551.2005.00456.x
- Upadhyay, D. (2011). Lighting a lamp : Citizenship behavior & social capital. Prabhandan : Indian Journal of Management, 4 (11), 4-12.
- Vidal, M.E.S., Valle, R.S., & Aragon, M. I. B. (2007). Antecedents of repatriates' job satisfaction and its influence on turnover intentions: Evidence from Spanish repatriated managers. Journal of Business Research, 60 (12), 1272-1281. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.05.004
- Walz, S. M., & Niehoff, B. P. (2000). Organizational citizenship behaviors: Their relationship to organizational effectiveness. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 24 (3), 301-319. DOI: 10.1177/109634800002400301
- Weiss, D. J. , Dawis, R. V. England, G. W. and Lofquist, L. H. (1967). Manual for the Minnesota Satisfaction Questionnaire. Vol. 22, Minnesota Studies in Vocational Rehabilitation, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, Industrial Relations Center.
- Werner, J. M. (1994). Dimensions that make a difference: Examining the impact of in-role and extra-role behaviors on supervisory ratings. Journal of Applied Psychology, 79(1), 98-107. DOI : http://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/0021-9010.79.1.98
- There are currently no refbacks.