Total views : 827
Subscription or Fee Access
A Conceptual Model to Achieve Operational Excellence in a Public Sector Bus Transport Company: A Research Paper
This model aims at using the QFD methodology for converting the customer requirements and needs into quality characteristics for improving the quality of service in a public sector passenger transport company, which is a crucial sector for transportation of people in developing countries like India. In this model, traditional quality function deployment has been modified by seamlessly integrating the Principal Component Analysis (PCA) to find the weights for the customer needs and Conjoint Analysis (CA) to aid the prioritization of the technical descriptors. This QFD would help to prioritize the different technical measures to focus and improve to achieve operational excellence.
Public Bus Transport, Customer Expectations, Factor Analysis, Conjoint Analysis, Quality Function Deployment (QFD).
(PDF views: 6)
- ASTRU - Association of State Road Transport Undertakings, India, www.astru.org accessed on February 6, 2011.
- Bhagavath V. (2006). 'Technical Efficiency Measurement By Data Envelopment Analysis: An Application In Transportation.' Alliance Journal of Business Research, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp. 60-72.
- Chen. C.H. (2009). 'A Quality Improvement Framework for Air Transport: An Example of Cargo Sector in Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.' East Coast Management Review, Graduate Institute of Management, Taiwan, pp. 1-18.
- Cheng. J.C, Lo. C.Y, Liu. S.H., and Tsay. Y.L. (2004). 'Application of Quality Function Deployment For Assessment Of Aircraft Maintenance Education.' ICEE04 International Conference on Engineering Education, October 17-21, 2004.
- Chin. K.S., Pun. K.F., Leung. W.M. and Lau H. (2001). 'A Quality Function Deployment Approach For Improving Technical Library And Information Services: A Case Study.' Library Management, Volume 22, Issue 4/5, pp. 195-204.
- Choudhary Himanshu and Sharma Vandana (2009). "Empirical Study On Operational Efficiency In Retail Stores in Chandigarh Tricity." Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp. 28-33.
- Daman. A.H. and Elbuzidi. A.S. (2004). "Quality Function Deployment As A Tool To Improve Air Transportation Services in Libya (Case Study)." Libyan Quality Society Quality Conference, Tripoli, Libya, May 10-11, 2004, pp. 1-18.
- Dolan. R., (1990). "Conjoint Analysis: A Manager's Guide." Harvard Business School Publishing, Boston, MA, pp. 1-3.
- Hair. J.F., Black.W.C., Babin. B.J., Anderson.R.E., and Tatham.R.L., (2006). "Multivariate Data Analysis." Sixth Edition, Pearson Education, New Delhi, pp. 125-189.
- Hsu. W.K.K, Hsieh. C.L. and Huang. Y.Y. (2009). "Improvement of Service Quality For Container Terminals." BAI 2009 International Conference on Business and Information, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, July 6-8, 2009.
- Kannan V.R. and Tan K.C. (2002). "Supplier Selection And Assessment, Their Impact On Business Performance." Journal of Supply Chain Management, Volume 38, pp. 11-21.
- Kotri A. (2006). "Analyzing Customer Value Using Conjoint Analysis: The Example Of A Packaging Company." University of Tartu, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, ISBN 9949114799, Tartu University Press, pp. 1-38.
- Liu C.H. and Wu H.H. (2008). "A Fuzzy Group Decision-Making Approach In Quality Function Deployment." Quality and Quantity, Springer, Volume 42, pp. 527-540.
- Malhotra. N.K. (2004). "Marketing Research." Pearson Education, Fifth Edition, New Delhi, pp. 621-632.
- Mazur G.H. and Hopwood II.T.P.E. (2007). "Context Sensitive Solutions: The Application of QFD For Developing Public Transportation Projects in the U.S." QFD-Institut Deutschland e.V. QFD-Symposium vom, November 5-6, 2007, Kassel, pp. 1-15.
- Mazzulla G. and Eboli L. (2006). "A Service Quality Experimental Measure For Public Transport." European Transport/Trasporti Europei, Volume 34, pp. 42-53.
- Nargundkar R. (2008). "Marketing Research." Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, pp. 421- 437.
- Ong. F.S. Kitchen. P.J. and Chew. S.S. (2010). "Marketing A Consumer Durable Brand In Malaysia: A Conjoint Analysis And Market Simulation." Journal of Consumer Marketing, Volume 27, Issue 6, pp. 507-515.
- Petroni A. and Braggia M. (2000). "Vendor Selection Using Principal Component Analysis." The Journal of Supply Chain Management, Volume 36, pp. 63-69.
- Sezhian M.V., Muralidharan C., Nambirajan T., and Deshmukh S.G., (2011). "Ranking Of A Public Sector Passenger Bus Transport Company Using Principal Component Analysis: A Case Study." Management Research and Practice, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp. 60-71., http://mrp.ase.ro/no31/f5.pdf accessed on March 3, 2011.
- Sezhian M.V. (2011a). "Development Of Performance Improvement Models For A Public Sector Bus Company Using Heuristic Approaches." Ph.D Thesis, Annamalai University, p. 91.
- Shlens. J. (2009). "A Tutorial On Principal Component Analysis." pp. 1-12, Version 3.01, www.snl.salk.edu/∼shlens/pca.pdf accessed on February 2, 2011.
- Silva. S.K.P.N. (2011). "Applicability of Lean Manufacturing On Operational Performance - A Case Study In The Apparel Industry In Sri Lanka." Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, Volume 4, Issue 10, pp. 17-28.
- Soutar G. and Turner J.P. (2002). "Students Preference For University: A Conjoint Analysis." International Journal of Education Management, Volume 16, Issue 1, pp. 40-45.
- Svikis I. L. (2003). "Managerial Operations: A Case Of Effectiveness And Efficiency Doing The Right Things, Right First Time (A Presentation)." QualSure Associates, University of Huddersfield Business School, pp. 1-18.
- Tu C.S., Chang C.T., Chen, K.K. and Lu H.A., (2010). "Applying an AHP - QFD Conceptual Model and Zero-One Goal Programming to Requirement-Based Site Selection for an Airport Cargo Logistics Center." International Journal of Information and Management Sciences, Volume 21, pp. 407-430.
- Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal_component_analysis, December 23, 2010.
- Zaim S. and Sevkli M. (2002). "The methodology of QFD With Crisp And Fuzzy Approaches And An Application In The Turkish Shampoo Industry." Journal of Economics and Social Research, Volume 4, Issue 1, pp. 27-53.
- There are currently no refbacks.