Emotional Intelligence and Personality : Their Relationship in the Indian Context
Emotional Intelligence, Personality, Indian Service Sector
J53, L00, M00
Paper Submission Date : April 12, 2017 ; Paper sent back for Revision : August 7, 2017 ; Paper Acceptance Date : August 23, 2017.
- Alhashmei, S.E., & Hajee, Z.R. (2013). The relationship between leadership, educational level and emotional intelligence: A case study in Bahrain. Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 6 (1), 24 - 32. DOI: 10.17010/pijom/2013/v6i1/59951
- Allport, G.W. (1961). Pattern and growth in personality. New York : Holt, Rinehart & Winston.
- Andrei, F. (2015). Trait emotional intelligence: Evidence from Italian adolescents and adults (Doctoral Dissertation, Alma).University of Bologna, Italy.
- Athota, V. S., O'Connor, P. J., & Jackson, C. (2009). The role of emotional intelligence and personality in moral reasoning. In R. E. Hicks (ed.), Personality and individual differences: Current directions. Bowen Hills, QLD : Australian Academic Press.
- Austin, E. J., Saklofske, D. H., Huang, S. H. S., & McKenney, D. (2004). Measurement of trait emotional intelligence: Testing and cross validating a modified version of Schutte et al.’s (1998) measure. Personality and Individual Differences, 36 (3), 555 - 562.
- Cavazotte, F., Moreno, V., & Hickman, M. (2012). Effects of leader intelligence, personality and emotional intelligence on transformational leadership and managerial performance. The Leadership Quarterly, 23 (3), 443 - 445.
- Costa, P.T., Terracciano, A., & McCrae, R. (2001). Gender differences in personality traits across cultures: Robust and surprising findings. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 81 (2), 322 - 331.
- Das, G. M. A. (2011). Emotional intelligence and personality in students pursuing professional and non-professional courses - The influence of personal correlates. Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 4 (1), 43 - 49. DOI: 10.17010/pijom/2011/v4i1/62084
- Deepa, R., & Krishnaveni, R. (2011). Development and validation of an instrument for measuring the emotional intelligence of individuals in the work environment - In the Indian context. The International Journal of Educational and Psychological Assessment, 7(2), 94 - 118.
- Dhani, P. (2017). Implications of emotional intelligence. In S. M. Anas Iqbal (ed.), Transformation in business governance (pp.141-146). Indore : Shroff Publishers & Distributors Pvt. Ltd.
- Dhani, P., & Sharma, T. (2016). Emotional intelligence; history, models and measures. International Journal of Science Technology & Management, 5 (7), 189 - 201.
- Dhani, P., & Sharma, T. (2017). Relationship between emotional intelligence and personality: A study in Indian context. International Business Management, 11(5), 1133 - 1139. doi:10.3923/ibm.2017.1133.1139
- Furnham, A. (2017). Does it matter who we are? 17 personality at work, in N. Chmiel, F. Fraccaroli, & M. Sverke (eds.), An introduction to work and organizational psychology: An international perspective (pp. 317-334). USA : John Wiley & Sons.
- Goleman, D. (1995). Emotional intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ. New York: Bantam Book.
- Goleman, D. (1998). Working with emotional intelligence. New York: Bantam Books.
- Goleman, D. (2008). What makes a leader? Harvard Business Review, 76 (6), 82 - 91.
- Hudani, N., Redzuan, M., & Hamsan, H. (2012). Inter relationship between emotional intelligence and personality trait of educator leaders. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 2 (5), 223 - 237.
- Indradevi, R. (2015). A relationship between emotional intelligence and Myer Briggs Big Five personality model. International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, 8 (4), 361-374.
- Joseph, D. L., & Newman, D. A. (2010). Emotional intelligence: An integrative meta- analysis and cascading model. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95(1), 54 - 78.
- Klimstra, T. A., Bleidorn, W., Asendorpf, J. B., Van Aken, M. A., & Denissen, J. J. (2013). Correlated change of Big Five personality traits across the lifespan: A search for determinants. Journal of Research in Personality, 47(6), 768 - 777.
- Martin-Raugh, M. P., Kell, H. J., & Motowidlo, S. J. (2016). Prosocial knowledge mediates effects of agreeableness and emotional intelligence on prosocial behavior. Personality and Individual Differences, 90(February), 41 - 49.
- Maul, A. (2012). The validity of the Mayer - Salovey - Caruso emotional intelligence test (MSCEIT) as a measure of emotional intelligence. Emotion Review, 4 (4), 394 - 402.
- Mohanty, A., & Das, G. P. (2017). Revisiting the Arthashastra : An approach to emotional intelligence. Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 10 (5), 24 - 36. doi:10.17010/pijom/2017/v10i5/114253
- Neil, R., Wagstaff, C. R., Weller, E., & Lewis, R. (2016). Leader behaviour, emotional intelligence, and team performance at a UK government executive agency during organizational change. Journal of Change Management, 16(2), 97-122.
- O'Boyle, E. H., Humphrey, R. H., Pollack, J. M., Hawver, T. H., & Story, P. A. (2011). The relation between emotional intelligence and job performance : A meta-analysis. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 32 (5), 788 - 818.
- Petrides, K. V., Vernon, P. A., Schermer, J. A., Ligthart, L., Boomsma, D. I., & Veselka L. (2010). Relationships between trait emotional intelligence and the Big Five in the Netherlands. Journal of Personality and Individual Differences, 48(8), 906 - 910.
- Salovey, P., & Mayer, J. D. (1990). Emotional intelligence. Imagination, Cognition & Personality, 9 (3), 185 - 211.
- Shahu, R. (2010). Investigative study on effect of emotional intelligence on job satisfaction and performance. Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 3 (12), 36 - 38. doi:10.17010/pijom/2010/v3i12/61003
- Siegling, A.B., Furnham, A., & Petrides, K.V. (2015). Trait emotional intelligence and personality: Gender-invariant linkages across different measures of the Big Five. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 33 (1), 57 - 67.
- Singh, M., & Woods, S. A. (2008). Predicting general well - being from emotional intelligence and three broad personality traits. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 38 (3), 635 - 646.
- Tanner, M. (2015). The introvert charismatic: The gift of introversion in a noisy church. Michigan, USA : Monarch Books.
- Vesely, A. K., Saklofske, D. H., & Nordstokke, D. W. (2014). EI training and pre-service teacher wellbeing. Personality and Individual Differences, 65 (July), 81 - 85.
- Vohs, J. L., & Leonhardt, B. L. (2016). Metacognitive reflection and insight therapy for borderline personality disorder: A case illustration of an individual in a long term institutional setting. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, 46 (4), 255 - 264.
- Weisberg, Y. J., DeYoung, C. G., & Hirsh, J. B. (2011). Gender differences in personality across the ten aspects of the Big Five. Frontiers in Psychology, 2, 178. DOI : https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2011.00178
- There are currently no refbacks.