From Bhutan, with Love : Exploring the Perceptions of Bhutanese Students Studying Tourism and Hospitality in an Indian University
Perceptions, Bhutanese Students, India, Tourism, Program
I21, I23, L83, Z39
Paper Submission Date : February 8, 2017 ; Paper sent back for Revision : May 17, 2017 ; Paper Acceptance Date : May 25, 2017.
- Airey, D., Tribe, J., Benckendorff, P., & Xiao, H. (2015). The managerial gaze: The long tail of tourism education and research. Journal of Travel Research, 54 (2), 139-151.
- Armfield, P. A. (2004). An examination of the relationship between students' interaction with host nationals while on study abroad and their development of intercultural sensitivity (Unpublished Master’s Thesis). University of Maryland, Maryland.
- Baas, M. (2006). Students of migration: Indian overseas students and the question of permanent residency. People and Place, 14(1), 8 - 23.
- Bae, S. Y., & Song, H. (2017). Intercultural sensitivity and tourism patterns among international students in Korea: using a latent profile analysis. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 22 (4), 1-13.
- Bagri, S. C., Babu S., & Kukreti, M. (2010). Human resource practices in hotels: A study from the tourist state of Uttarakhand, India. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 9 (3), 286-299.
- Barber, E. G., & Morgan, R. P. (1988). Boon or bane: Foreign graduate students in U.S. engineering programs (Report No. 15). New York, NY: Institute of International Education.
- Barnett, G. A., & Wu, R. Y. (1995). The international student exchange network: 1970 & 1989. Higher Education, 30 (4), 353-368.
- Barron, P., & Arcodia, C. (2002). Linking learning style preferences and ethnicity: International students studying hospitality and tourism management in Australia. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education, 1 (2), 1-13.
- Beerli, A., & Martin, J. D. (2004). Factors influencing destination image. Annals of Tourism Research, 31 (3), 657-681.
- Beynon, J., Ilieva, R., Dichupa, M., & Hirji, S. (2003). "Do you know your language?" How teachers of Punjabi and Chinese ancestries construct their family languages in their personal and professional lives. Journal of Language, 2 (1), 1-27.
- Bhatia, T. K. (1993). Punjabi. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Binsardi, A., & Ekwulugo, F. (2003). International marketing of British education: Research on the students' perception and the UK market penetration. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 21 (5), 318-327.
- Black, J. S., & Mendenhall, M. (1991). The U-curve adjustment hypothesis revisited: A review and theoretical framework. Journal of International Business Studies, 22 (2), 225 - 247.
- Bontenbal, M., & Aziz, H. (2013). Oman’s tourism industry: Student career perceptions and attitudes. Journal of Arabian Studies: Arabia, the Gulf, and the Red Sea, 3 (2), 232 - 248.
- Burlakanti, K., Kumar, J. N., & Srinivas, R. V. (2014). Parents' perception about factors of quality education in private schools in Kakinada city, Andhra Pradesh. Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 7 (4), 5 - 16. DOI: 10.17010/pijom/2014/v7i4/59304
- Burns, R. B. (1991). Study and stress among first year overseas students in an Australian university. Higher Education Research and Development, 10 (1), 61 - 77.
- Chadha, B., Rai, R. S., & Dugar, A. (2016). Globalizing higher education in India: Brain drain in reverse - A review. Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 9 (10), 23 - 33. doi:10.17010/pijom/2016/v9i10/103071
- Childs, A., Tenzin, W., Johnson, D., & Ramachandran, K. (2012). Science education in Bhutan: Issues and challenges. International Journal of Science Education, 34 (3), 375 - 400.
- Dale, C., & Robinson, N. (2001). The theming of tourism education: A three-domain approach. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 13 (1), 30 - 35.
- Gupta, D. (2009). Indian economy: Future prospects & challenges. Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 2 (5), 3 - 14. doi:10.17010/pijom/2009/v2i5/60993
- Herman, N. B. (1996). The impact of study abroad experiences on the psychosocial development of college students (Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation). Ohio University, Athens.
- Huang, R. (2005). Chinese international students’ perceptions of the problem-based learning experience. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education, 4 (2), 36 - 44.
- Jithendran, K. J., & Baum, T. (2000). Human resources development and sustainability-the case of Indian tourism. International Journal of Tourism Research, 2 (6), 403 - 421.
- Kiili, C., Laurinen, L., & Marttunen, M. (2008). Students evaluating Internet sources: From versatile evaluators to uncritical readers. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 39 (1), 75 - 95.
- Kondakci, Y. (2011). Student mobility reviewed: Attraction and satisfaction of international students in Turkey. Higher Education, 62 (5), 573 - 592.
- Langley, C. S., & Breese, J. R. (2005). Interacting sojourners: A study of students studying abroad. The Social Science Journal, 42 (2), 313 - 321.
- Lee, J. J., & Rice, C. (2007). Welcome to America? International student perceptions of discrimination. Higher Education, 53 (3), 381 - 409.
- Liu, X., Liu, S., Lee, S. H., & Magjuka, R. J. (2010). Cultural differences in online learning: International student perceptions. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 13 (3), 177 - 188.
- Lusby, C., & Bandaruk, B. (2010).Study abroad in the recreation curriculum: A student perspective. Journal of Unconventional Parks, Tourism & Recreation Research, 3 (1), 22 - 28.
- Lysgaard, S. (1955). Adjustment in a foreign society: Norwegian Fulbright grantees visiting the United States. International Social Science Bulletin, 7, 45-51.
- Maxwell, T. W., Rinchen, P., & Cooksey, R. (2010). Evolutionary trajectories in school assessment systems: The case of Bhutan. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 30 (3), 273 - 288.
- Mazzarol, T., & Soutar, G. N. (2002). “Push-pull” factors influencing international student destination choice. International Journal of Educational Management, 16 (2), 82 - 90.
- McMahon, M. E. (1992). Higher education in a world market. Higher Education, 24 (4), 465 - 482.
- Metzger, M. J., Flanagin, A. J., & Zwarun, L. (2003). College student web use, perceptions of information credibility, and verification behavior. Computers & Education, 41 (3), 271-290.
- Ninnes, P., Aitchison, C., & Kalos, S. (1999). Challenges to stereotypes of international students’ prior educational experience: Undergraduate education in India. Higher Education Research and Development, 18 (3), 323-342.
- Pedersen, P. B. (1991). Counseling international students. The Counseling Psychologist, 19 (1), 10-58.
- Phelps, A. (1986). Holiday destination image : The problem of assessment: An example developed in Menorca. Tourism Management, 7 (3), 168 - 180.
- Robertson, M., Line, M., Jones, S., & Thomas, S. (2000). International students, learning environments and perceptions: A case study using the Delphi technique. Higher Education Research & Development, 19 (1), 89-102.
- Rumbaut, R. G. (1994). Origins and destinies: Immigration to the United States since World War II. In Sociological Forum, 9(4), 583-621.
- Russell, J., Rosenthal, D., & Thomson, G. (2010). The international student experience: Three styles of adaptation. Higher Education, 60 (2), 235 - 249.
- Sherry, M., Thomas, P., & Chui, W. H. (2010). International students: A vulnerable student population. Higher Education, 60 (1), 33 - 46.
- Sigelman, L., & Welch, S. (1993). The contact hypothesis revisited: Black-white interaction and positive racial attitudes. Social Forces, 71(3), 781-795.
- Singh, E. H., & Phuntsho, J. (2014). Impact of gross national happiness (GNH) on the adoption of green transportation in Bhutan. Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 7(9), 34-42. doi:10.17010/pijom/2014/v7i9/59242
- Singh, S. (1997). Developing human resources for the tourism industry with reference to India. Tourism Management, 18 (5), 299-306.
- Spilimbergo, A. (2009). Democracy and foreign education. The American Economic Review, 99 (1), 528-543.
- Thakur, R. (1985). India and overseas Indians: The case of Fiji. Asian Survey, 25 (3), 356-370.
- Tran, L. T., & Soejatminah, S. (2016). ‘Get Foot in the Door’: International students’ perceptions of work integrated learning. British Journal of Educational Studies, 64 (3), 337-355.
- Vanderstoep, S. C., & Johnston, D. D. (2009). Research methods for everyday life: Blending qualitative and quantitative approaches. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Walmsley, A. (2012). Pathways into tourism higher education. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education, 11 (2), 131-139.
- World Tourism Organization. (2014). UNWTO tourism highlights. Madrid: World Tourism Organization.
- Yeravdekar, V. R., & Tiwari, G. (2014). Internationalization of higher education in India: Contribution to regional capacity building in neighbouring countries. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 157 (27), 373-380.
- There are currently no refbacks.